Monday, November 22, 2010

Chemistry and Creative Writing

For many years, I've explored how to mesh my two great loves~ chemistry and creative writing.  It's more difficult than one could imagine!  I think there's a niche to it and I wane between careless and careful tastings of it.  Adding too much chemistry seems to turn off the general reader and straying away from scientific specifics tends to make it appear 'ungenuine' to chemists.
From what I've learned, the best approach is to take an idea in chemistry~ any idea, as long as you understand it, and materialize it into an exploration of every human sense.  What would roots expanding in dirt smell like on the atomic level?  We might not know, but we could use clever turns of phrase to liken it to something.  Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment